Zucchini Bread Recipe
On a yellow folded index card in my mom's recipe tin, grease
stains, carefully typed letters spell out this recipe. Someone
took great care in preserving it, and if this is the same one that I
remember eating, it's a good excuse to actually grow zucchini!
Makes 2 loaves.
Recipe can be cut in half for one loaf or two small -- use 2 eggs for
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil (mazola, wesson, etc.)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla (= 1 tablespoon)
- 3 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Bake: 350 oven -- 50 - 60 mins (test for doneness)
Pans: Greased and floured; makes two 9 x 5 x 3 or four 7.325 x 3.625 x
1. Grease and flour pans
2. Measure into a medium bowl flour, salt, soda, bkg. powder and
cinnamon -- mix and set aside.
3. Chop nuts -- set aside.
4. Grate zucchini - peel and seed if they are large -- smaller ones
need not be seeded.
5. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy.
6. Add sugar gradually and beat until thick.
7. Add vanilla and oil - blend.
8. Add zucchini and mix well.
9. Add dry ingrdients, blend (batter is thin)
10. Remove fro mixer and fold in nuts.
11. Our into prepared pans.
12. Bake (smaller pans may only take 45 mins.)
13. Cool 10 min in pan -- remove pan and cool on rack.
14. Freezes beautifully.
(Return to Recipe Index)
Recipe Table of Contents