Tasty Cinnamon Rolls
These cinnamon rolls are delicious ... but they are high in fat,
which is probably why they are very tasty! Just plan on running 5
miles for each one you eat :)
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen rolls
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 cup flour.
- In 1-quart saucepan over low heat, heat milk and 1/2 cup butter
(1 stick) until very warm (120 - 130 degrees F). Butter does not
need to melt.
- With mixer at low speed, gradually beat liquid into dry
ingredients just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2
- Beat in vanilla extract, 1 egg, and 1 cup of flour to make a
thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes, scraping bowl often.
- With wooden spoon, stir in 2 cups flour to make a soft dough
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth and
elastic, about 10 minutes, working in more flour (about 1/3 cup).
- Shape into ball; place in greased large bowl, turning to grease
- Cover; let rise in warm place (80 - 85 degrees F) until doubled,
about 1 1/2 hours
- Punch down dough
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; cut dough in half; cover
and let rest 15 minutes.
- Grease 2 large cookie sheets. In small bowl, mix brown
sugar, pecans, raisins, and cinnamon.
- In small saucepan over low heat, melt 8 tablespoons butter or
margarine (1 stick).
- With floured rolling pin, roll half of dough into 18" by 12"
rectangle. Brush with about a third of melted butter; sprinkle with
half of brown-sugar-raisin mixture. From 18-inch edge, roll dough
jelly-roll fashion; pinch seam to seal. Cut roll into 9 slices, ~
2 inches wide each. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Place rolls 2 inches apart on cookie sheets; cover; let rise in
warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In cup, beat remaining egg; with pastry brush, brush rolls
- Bake rolls 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove rolls from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks
(If you're going to run, I'd do it before or during the first rising.)
(Return to Recipe Index)
Recipe Table of Contents