Portuguese Sweet Bread
Yield: 2 servings
- 1/4 c Water; warm
- 1 c Milk; scalded and cooled
- 3/4 c Sugar
- 1 ts Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 c Margerine
- 5 c Flour
- 1 Eggs
- 2 pk Yeast
- 1 ts Sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk, 3/4 cup of sugar, salt, 3 eggs, margerine, and 3
- Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour (may need up to
more than called for) until you have an easily manageable dough.
- Turn out dough on floured surface; knead 5 minutes. Place in
bowl; turn greased side up; cover and let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough and divide in two.
- Shape each into a round, slightly flat load.
- Place each loaf in round layer pan (9X10 1/2 inches) that has
- Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat 1 egg slightly and brush over loaves.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp of sugar.
- Bake until loaves are golden brown (35 - 45 minutes).
Makes 2 loaves.
(Return to Recipe Index)